Skip to main content

Where Are The Tar Sands

At Samurai Karate Studio, we practice environmental self defense!

For the record, I'm not some environmental "whacko".  I just believe we ALL have a responsibility to protect and conserve our planet's natural resources.  To me, this is just smart SELF DEFENSE.

I realize the US economy and the world's, for that matter, is addicted to oil.  And we currently need oil to keep our country moving forward.  However, I believe we can develop our oil resources in a smart way, with less impact to the environment.  Of course, we need to be developing alternative fuel sources at the same time, so that eventually, we can become less dependent on oil.

There is currently a lot of controversy about the tar sands of Canada.  I wanted to find out more about them.

If you follow my work, you know I am a huge fan of TED, an online lecture series that covers a wide range of topics.  In the video below, you will meet Garth Lenz, who is an award winning conservation photographer whose work has been seen in shows around the globe. Recently he appeared at a TEDx event in Victoria, BC Canada with his exhibition, The True Cost of Oil.

Through Lenz's photography, this exhibit showcases the beauty of some of Canada's pristine environments—and the dire impact that tar sands oil extraction has on them.

 


 

I really had no idea of the complete devastation to the environment that these mines are responsible for.  Nor did I realize they are encroaching of some of the most pristine rain forests located in the north.

I often remind my students that we practice our self defense techniques over and over - so that hopefully, in the event we were ever attacked, we would be prepared to defend ourselves from harm.

Well, I think we need to consider taking action to DEFEND ourselves (and our planet) from the devestating consequences of extracting oil from these tar sands.

How?

Start by aking action and calling your state Congressman or Senator - to voice your concerns about the tar sands, before it is too late.  Get involved. Stay informed.

That is good self defense!

Yes?

Sensei Chris Feldt
Samurai Karate Studio
Columbia, SC 29229
803-462-9425

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Talk To Kids About Leiby Kletzky

10 Tips Parents Need to Know By Dr. Robyn Silverman A horrific story about a 8 year old boy, Leiby Kletzky, gone missing, murdered and dismembered in Brooklyn this week, has parents wondering how to talk to their children about this tragedy. As a parent myself, all I wanted to do was shut my eyes, close my doors, and hold my children tight. It is every parent’s nightmare—not just because of the loss itself—not just because of the gruesome way this young boy died—but because of the senselessness of the murder. What was the motive? Why this boy? Or perhaps more accurately, could it have just as easily been mine? As a mother I find it so hard to write this article. My stomach flips and my teeth chatter just like yours. We want to raise happy, healthy, confident children—not ones that hide from the world and fear those within it. At the same time, these kinds of sickening stories make us want to yell; “stay home with me and never venture out alone!” Logically, we know ...

Mimimizing Rape: Who is Responsible!

By Gayle Crabtree Could someone please tell me what an alleged reporter was thinking when he wrote the piece called Vicious Assault Shakes Texas Town . In this article, the NY Times reporter James C. McKinley, JR writes about how the rape of an 11 year old is reverberating through a town. What he doesn’t write about is how the rape is reverberating through the child’s life and the life of her family. Beginning with the title, the article takes the fast track downhill. You bet the town is shaken. It should be. The reported gang rape of an 11 year old should shake any town to the core! Rape should never be condoned. Further, there is no excuse for an article to even suggest that a child (or adult) is to blame. The problem is that the tone of this article seems to side with the alleged perpetrators. (I say alleged because everyone is innocent until proven guilty under the law.) I’d like to know who told the reporter that it’s ok to quote comments about the way a child dresses. In the ar...

Speak Out Against Domestic Violence!

BY SANDY THORN CLARK Mar 15, 2011 Breaking the silence associated with domestic violence — and giving a voice to its victims — is one of the major goals of Connections for Abused Women and their Children (CAWC), a 30-year Chicago organization committed to ending the crime. It’s why “Sounds of Silence” was chosen as the theme for CAWC’s 25th Annual Spring Gala Saturday night at the Hyatt Regency Chicago. The shame and guilt associated with being a victim are the top contributors to the silence, according to Stephanie Love-Patterson, associate director of CAWC. The organization offers: a 24-hour hotline; Greenhouse Shelter, a shelter for battered women; an outreach services program for the Humboldt Park area; a Hospital Crisis Intervention Project at Stroger Hospital, and domestic violence education at Haymarket Center, the third largest center in Illinois for alcohol and substance addictions. Read the rest of the article HERE . Sensei Chris Feldt Samurai Karate Studio Columbia, SC ...